Welcome to Knuden – Kristiansand School of Visual and Performing Arts!
We are a municipal cultural school for children and youth from 4 to 20 years, mainly teaching after regular school hours. At our school, we give you the opportunity to express yourself through dance, music, theatre, visual arts, technology, choir, song and creative writing. All teachers are well educated and we are a public service. Please note that som info are being updated, contact us if you have further enquieries.
You can discover entirely new interests and make new friends! Lessons take place mainly after regular school hours with qualified teachers.
We have a number of different services within:
- Visual arts – painting, drawing, ceramics, etc.
- Song (choir and solo)
- Dance (various dance styles)
- Band (jazz/pop/rock)
- Orchestra (classical)
- Theatre, musical and improvisation
- Musical instruments (different types)
- Sesam – samples of the cultural school services for young beginners
- Laptop – electronic music
In the menu on this website you will find a complete overview of our exiting subjects.
Prices and terms:
The course fee varies whether it is group tuition or individual tuition. More information about course fees can be found here (in Norwegian).
Low income families can apply for a free place. The financial assistance scheme Fritidsfond is intended to ensure broader participation and inclusion of more children and youth in long-term organized leisure activities when families lack the finances to pay for this themselves. Fritidsfond applies to children and youth up to the age of 18 in Kristiansand Municipality. Click here for more information.
If you sign up for one of our music classes, but do not have your own instrument, you can hire one from the cultural school's instrument stock. We rent out most instruments if they are available. We reccomend that pupils who plays drums, piano and keys should have this at home, but it's not mandatory.
When signing up for the cultural school's services, you accept the following terms:
- The agreement is financially binding for the semester, and does not terminate until written notification has been received by the cultural school's administration.
- An SMS must be sent to the teacher if you are absent from a class.
- If the student does not attend classes 3 times in a row without notifying the teacher, the student risks losing the place, without a reduction in the tuition fee.
- All students must re-register in April each year. This is done in our administration system, SpeedADMIN. If this does not happen, the student is considered as withdrawn after the end of the semester. A reminder will be sent out prior to the re-registration.
- The withdrawal deadline for the spring semester is 1 December, and for the autumn semester 1 August. If the deadline is not observed, the semester is considered as commenced, and you must pay the full tuition fee. Teachers cannot receive withdrawals. A written withdrawal notification should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The cultural school offers both group tuition and individual tuition. Group tuition lasts for a minimum of 30 minutes each week, whereas individual tuition lasts for a minimum of 20 minutes each week. The cultural school sees many positive effects by working in a group, and the students are easily inspired by each other.
As a student, you influence how the tuition will take place and what it will contain. You will also have the opportunity to attend a concert, performance, show or exhibition at least once a year. The tuition takes place mainly in your spare time, after regular school hours, and the language used in the tuition is Norwegian.
The cultural school follows the elementary school's school year calendar, with the same days off and holidays.
We have teachers with extensive artistic experience and high education, who deliver tuition that is adapted to the individual student's interest and level. Read more about them (in Norwegian)
You will find us here
The tuition takes place throughout the municipality. Our main arenas are: At Silokaia next to Kilden Performing Arts Centre, Vågsbygd kultursenter, Samsen kulturhus, Søgne gamle prestegård, and Noden in Nodeland. In addition, there is tuition at a number of schools around the city.
Become a student
You can become a student if you are between 4 and 20 years old, and live in New Kristiansand municipality. The application deadline is May 1st for enrolment in the next school year. There are no requirements for auditions to become a student. Given that there is room for more students you might get a place during the school year.
Here, you can register as a student (in Norwegian)
Contact us by
Visit us at
Office hours: Weekdays from 08:00 to 15:30
Søgne: Tangvall skole- og idrettssenter
Follow us on social media